How to delete the file permanently without sending it to recycle bin in windows 10?
Windows 10 is a personal computer operating system developed and released by Microsoft as part of the Windows NT family of operating systems on July 15,2015. It is designed to provide a common, universal user experience between desktop, laptop, tablet computers, smartphones, and embedded systems.
Recycle Bin is one of the most used areas of Windows operating system. A recycle bin is a container used to hold the files, and folders that you do not want to store in your computer. In case you want to restore your deleted files later, the bin provides restore option as well. Until you clear them using the Empty Recycle Bin option, the files that you deleted, continues to stay there, still consuming space on your hard drive.
Windows allows you to delete the files permanently, without sending them to Recycle Bin. Simply, you can use the Shift+Delete key but if you don’t want to keep the deleted files in the Recycle Bin, Windows can help you to automatically delete the files permanently.
There are two methods to directly deleting files in Windows.
Method 1 will show you how to delete files by right clicking on them and selecting Delete, which will send files to the Recycle Bin. The steps include:
1. Go to the Desktop on your Windows 10 OS.
2. Right Click the Recycle Bin folder.
3. Click the Properties option.
4. In the Properties, select the drive for which you want to delete the files permanently.
5. Now, under Settings for selected location, click the radio button for Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted.
6. Click Apply to save the settings. Click Ok to save and exit Recycle Bin properties.
7. After you have completed this, the actions that will usually send files to the Recycle Bin will permanently delete them.
8. You can reverse this by choosing the option ‘Custom Size’ in Recycle Bin Properties.
Method 2 allows you to send files to the Recycle Bin, but also allows you to permanently delete them when necessary.
1. Right click the file that you want to delete permanently.
2. Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard.
3. While holding the Shift key, click Delete or press the Delete/Del button on your keyboard.
4. Confirm the file deletion and the file will be deleted permanently.
You can also use Ribbon command instead of Shift hotkey. Select a file or a folder you want to delete and select the command Delete->Delete permanently in the Organize section of the Home tab of the Ribbon. See the screenshot below.
I would love to hear all about it and answer any further questions you may have in the comments below. Feel free to leave a comment down below before you leave.